Saturday, July 13, 2013

Making Plans for the Future Already

I found more Pimsleur so I'm safe for now. I did one unit today in the morning while I took myself for a walk. It was 7 a.m., some crazy neighbor was at it mowing his front lawn, and in my headphones the calm voice was asking me to repeat in Norwegian that I can have a glass of wine but my husband is going to drive later so he will only have a glass of mineral water. I like that I can say a sentence like that, even though it is not very useful for me at this particular time. Even though I brought my husband into the loop about my little project (and to his credit, he didn't laugh too loud or too long), we will probably not make our way to Norway for some time.

The way I see it, it just means I have more time to master the language.

Monday is going to be day 14 of my project. That's when I'm going to take possession of the contraband language materials I purchased even though I said I wasn't going to. There's not much of it, and to my defense, I was partially motivated by the fact that Norwegian learning materials are hard to come by in Toronto, Canada, and when one does find them, one cannot ignore it.

As commitments go, I am committed to stick with it for at least another 2 months. A notion did occur to me for a moment to become a Norwegian translator but I recognized it for what it was - another sign that I like to think I'm limitless and can do whatever I want - and I promptly stifled it. The notion shall be reassessed when I can actually form a sentence in Norwegian that has some subordinate clauses.